Thursday, February 24, 2005

Survival

So... I had planned on writing a very snarky post about tonight's Survivor. (Do Jeff and Kim think they're headed for RobandAmberville? Really? And do they think that's a new strategy? Gotta love Ashlee and her crushin on Ibraham the Cutie.) I do have to say that I'm so glad that it's back! I was worried about my first reality love for the last couple of seasons.

But then I got a phone call from my step-mom. Her mom passed away tonight and she was crying. Her mom has had Alzheimer's for the past 10 or so years and has been in a nursing home for 6 or 7. She sobbed and said that now she's all alone. Her dad died when she was 29, same age as I was when my dad died. And then my dad, the love of her life, died 5 years ago. She has been so strong and so focused on making it thru each day and I admire her for that strength. I'm just not sure why it seems like the people who are hurting get heaped with more and more until it's just ridiculous. I guess it breaks down to survival... some people can make it all 39 days (or 80 years) and some give up early and become bitter and broken. I believe that if you have had a passionate love in your life, it makes the rough stuff easier to deal with and the great stuff even better. My husband is my best friend and I'm so lucky to have him... I'd better go tell him. Maybe I should call my mom, too.

No comments: