Thursday, January 26, 2006

An Open Letter to Oprah

Dear Oprah,
Can I call you Oprah? Thanks.
I'm a fan, have been for years. I like your show, I read your magazine, I've read your book club picks- even though most have been depressing, and the highlight of my year last year was when I was lucky enough to attend a taping of your show (after calling thousands of times over 3 years.) I defended you to people who said they thought you were bitchy and conceited.
But I'm sorry to say- not that you'll care- that I'm disappointed in you.
I can't believe you spent your show today tearing apart James Frey. Don't you have any loyalty? Compassion? Backbone? Did you just have to jump on the "He lied" bandwagon? Could you just not take two seconds and think that maybe there were reasons behind it? That maybe the good the book did, and could continue to do if you didn't trash it, made those exaggerations understandable.
And who are we to judge him? I'm not an addict, never have been, never want to be since I read 'Million Little Pieces', but I can't imagine how hard it was to live thru the things he did. And if he made himself seem a little tougher, who cares? He STILL BEAT ADDICTION! It still matters.
I just didn't expect it from you. I was shocked when I saw the articles online. You're known for your compassion and loyalty. I thought maybe you'd just let it all blow over. But you had to make a big deal out of it and embarrass him on your show. Petty, Oprah.
Anyway. After years of contributing to your billions, I won't be anymore.

But I will buy the next James Frey book.
Sincerely,
A former fan

No comments: